Thursday 18 October 2012

OF SELFISHNESS AND OTHER THOUGHTS........


Every day we do things that hurt someone without us even knowing about it. We do things that harm people around us, while we think everything is Okay. I don’t know about you all, but I have been in this situation a lot more often than not. I do things unintentionally that hurt people and a lot of times it so happens that I don’t even get to know about it and even if I knew, I am rather casual about it.
Happens quite often, in all honesty. Sometimes I go to bed at night thinking I will change with the first dawn, however when the morning comes, everything starts from where I left them off the previous night.
For a moment, let’s forget about me, you read enough about me, and let me ask you something. Oh, well, a few things, to be precise.
How many times have you done something for someone out of your own goodwill, not because you were asked to? How many times have you sincerely tried making someone happy, knowing that their happiness will not have any effect on your life? How many times have you put others' feelings before your own? How many times you thought of the consequences that will affect people around you, before you did something?
Just simple questions... It's easier to just answer them than to actually follow.
Man is a selfish being. Yeah, even I am. In my opinion however everyone needs a certain amount of selfishness to succeed, to get what you want and to be happy in life, however you need to know when and where to put a stop. Well, I have succeeded in the first task but I fail miserably on the second. I am selfish but honestly, I don't know where to draw the line and I have heard people complaining about this as well. I want to change it of course; however it is not an easy thing to do.
Just the other day I had a chance to talk to my dad, which I do whenever he or I get free time. He's busier than I am though. I always look up to his counsel and guidance. Not that I am Daddy’s boy, but yeah, in all honesty, He is my Hero.
So…… Whenever I am in doubt, to satiate my never ending desire to clear it, I would bombard him with a lot of questions every now and then. Some stupid and naïve like I am, while a lot much more mature in nature.
The other day I got a chance to do just that. I am not sure if I would be able to put in how it all exactly went, I will try my best however. Here is how it all went…….
Me: Dad, if it's okay to be a bit selfish in life.
Dad: Yes, it is okay, to think about yourself, your happiness and you comfort but not at the expense of others interest.
Me: Okay so what if my interest and others' collide, then what am I suppose to do.
Dad: (With a smile on his face) Hmmmmm…. See, you are an adult now and I think I will leave it to you. Make your own judgment on this one. Don't regret if you are wrong with your judgment, if you get it wrong then make sure you redress the balance.
Me: Why do I need to think about others so much? What if they don’t think of me in the same light?
Dad: What others think is not of your concern and not mine either. Let them think or say what they want. The bottom line however, is that when you look back at things, first and foremost thing I want, is for you to be proud of what you did. Do what is right and things will fall in the right places at the right time.
Along the way you would make mistakes, but that should not pull you down or stop you from doing what’s right.
He would go on to add: “Mistakes are lesson learnt. The more you make them the more you learn however don't make it a habit.”
Just as much I have an ever questioning mind, Dad too has a never ending patience to answer all of them and sometimes, he just don’t know where to stop and just goes on and on. Not that it’s annoying, he sometimes just gets so lost in the moment, he forgets about everything else. He can really be funny sometimes. Whatever, I LOVE HIM.
“Just as much it’s important to think about yourself, it is as much important to see what you can do for others. Keeping yourself happy is a good thing and that should be your priority, but keeping others happy is a blessing.” He adds.
The best thing about him is that he talks and explains things from his own experiences. He is an optimist at the same time a realist as well. Yup, and I follow him on this one.
 “In other words, just be a blessing to others because in life, you’d find a lot of your happiness is connected to people close to you, those who love you and care about you. You keep them happy and you’ll be happy”
“Try your best to help someone in need, helping someone never goes in vain. They might not be able to return the favor, and in most cases they won’t, that however, should not be the reason to not help anyone.”
“The good you do to others always comes back to you in different sizes and shapes, and maybe in different situation. That’s the law of Karma. What you give, you will always get it back, sooner or later”. That’s how he ended it.
Well, me……. Hmmmmmm, grasped a few things however still working out on the rest.
I don’t go to church, not that I am a non believer, but I have my own perspective when it comes to religion. So, every question and every doubt, I ask him. I’ve learnt a lot from him, and it’s these little talks, that teach me about life and other things. Sometimes they do help me overcome a lot of things, which would otherwise be almost impossible.
As I said before, no matter how life turns out to be, there is always something in stores for you. Be it happiness, testing time or lessons from small incidents that you might otherwise deem insignificant. Life is full of surprises and never ceases to amaze. I will not say it’s beautiful, that would be a lie because right now I feel it is not, I can however say that it is one hell of a ride. Much like a drama, with never ending twists and turns.
The days, weeks and months so far haven’t been very good to me, there is always something or the other to learn however. To sum everything up “If you wanna be blessed, then be a blessing to others……….”
That’s it for now…. Till the next time, take care and stay safe.
Adios!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment