Monday 9 September 2013

DECISION MAKING: THE HARD CHOICE



Choices..... It's easy sometimes and difficult others. I mean we all go through a phase where we need to make some choices, about life, relations, career or everything. Sometimes, these choices are about small things (however, with bigger consequences) and sometimes they are about bigger issues (however, small consequences). Whatever they are or they might be, it's not always the easiest thing to make choices, well, not at-least for me. I have always been one of the people who lacks the precision when it comes to choosing something or making decisions. I need a second opinion in most of the cases, however small or big issues they are, I can't remember clearly if there is one decision that I made on my own. Honestly, there has been very few
.


 
Let me begin with a question.... How many times have you had this thought of taking second opinion? How many times have you thought someone else might know things better than you and it'd be better if you asked them before actually doing it? And how many times have had this doubt about your plans that you had to consult other, even without liking it a bit? If there has been then I think we are more or less the same, as I go through the same thing every time I plan on doing something. I am always unsure about things that I am doing or I am planning to do.
Honestly, I am at the age and situation where I should be deciding things on my own and implementing it. However, that is not the case. Inside I am still like that lost kid who always needs a guidance and opinion. Decision making has never been my strength, I have always ended up taking second opinion or consulting people, that maybe because I don't have much confidence about my knowledge and am always unsure about what I am planning to do and the consequences that might occur afterwards. That's one of the main reasons why I end without doing the things that I planned or without buying things that I want. It does happen a lot of times with me.
Let me give you few situations. I had been planning to buy a tab for a while now, however because of my old habit of consulting, I haven't bought it yet. And it's been more than eight months since I had planned this. I ended up choosing something and then asked everyone around about the feedback and everything. And now I am more confused than ever, as to which one to choose or what to buy or whether I should buy it or whether I really need it or not. All these doubts now fill my head and I haven't been able to make up my mind and decide on what I should do.
The other time, I had planned to buy a laptop. I had my eyes set on a Sony VAIO, however as it's always happened, I made the mistake or should I say, repeated the same thing of asking my friends and relatives about laptops and everything. After consulting everyone possible now I am confused, which one I should go for. Everyone has a suggestion and a brand that they trust, which does not necessarily match to what I had in mind. And call it lack of decisiveness as you like, now I am confused. And I think, I'd end up not buying anything for a while. Annoying it might be, but that's who I am that's how I am.
Friends sometimes get annoyed with it, but I just can't help it. I just wanna be sure about what I am doing and everything.
That has however it's own advantages. For one, it helps me not to do things in haste without thinking about it, which in a long run is helpful in choosing what is the best for me, well in most cases it has and I believe it will. And two, it increases the knowledge. I mean, it helps me know about things in proper way. So, I think it helps and it's not a very bad thing to do.
However, by doing so, I have become more reliant on people and now it's hard for me to decide on things. Well, there are few things I decide without taking any second opinion however, I always tell my folks about what I am doing. After all, it's better that way., Though, it's not good to be overtly reliant on people. It reduces your judgmental power, for after all, it's I, who needs to decide on what I do and what I don't.
I have tried and many times, I have decided that I will not do it, however as they say, old habits die hard. It happens every time. Sometimes it does happen just out of habit, without me even planning on doing it.
Annoying? Yeah, it sure is annoying and very much annoying. I don't know what I am gonna do or how I am gonna manage when I am older, well older than this. And when I have a family of my own. Well, it's not as bad to ask opinions around however not the best way to be always reliant on people. 
If you are one of those people, then I guess I have something to tell you and here is a piece of advice for everyone who reads it. It's good to take second opinion or at-least letting your folks know about what you are and will do, but make sure that you draw a line as to where you use your own conscience and make a decision. Some decision can be really big, up to an extent of being life changer for someone, and in those cases it's always better to consult someone who has better experience and better knowledge, maybe someone older. Though, being old doesn't necessarily gives you the wisdom to always choose the right thing, however experience counts. The more things you go through, the different kind of situation you go through, the more ideas you have, as to how to tackle it, or should I say face it. That's what experience is all about, and in life, it counts. It's never bad to consult your elders however do so, only when it is really important and just refrain from being too dependent on them. Because as it is, we end up blaming others whenever something goes wrong, especially when we have taken a second opinion. So, to save yourself from that blame-game, just be reliant on your knowledge and your ability but don't hesitate if there is any need of a second opinion.
Especially those people who matter to you, because your decision most of the times, effects them and it doesn't hurt to think about what is beneficial for everyone around (well,not everyone but “Everyone”).
However, let me tell you, this is just what I think and doesn't necessarily be applicable in your case. Just try and think about it, for decision making is no child's play and obviously, it should be done after carefully thinking about it. And make sure you do that in future. I can assure you, you'd be much happier if that happens.
Well,  that's it for now. I leave you with a lot to think about. I shall see you very soon.  Till then take care and stay safe. 
Adios!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


6 comments:

  1. Hey, good to see you back buddy. it's been quite a while now. and about your blog. even i have major issues regarding making plans and deciding on things. that is the reason why i leave all that to my wife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm.. so you are finally back. i am pretty precise about the decisions i make but i take my dad's advise time to time. it always serves me better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhh.. i see you're back. i hope this time it's not like one of those appearances after which you disappear for a long time. just sayin. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup it's always good to take second opinion but
    I would say doing so we may find ourself that we depend too much on other people to decide for us ........

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup it's always good to take second opinion but
    I would say doing so we may find ourself that we depend too much on other people to decide for us ........

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup it's always good to take second opinion but
    I would say doing so we may find ourself that we depend too much on other people to decide for us ........

    ReplyDelete