Sunday 15 September 2013

LEARNING NEVER STOPS


Ever since I complained about the hectic schedule at work and the long work hours, that’s taken a toll on me, unexpectedly, the work load has reduced. Since then, I have had a lot of breathing space at work. It’s been kind of welcomed change, more so because it has been just a bit too hectic at work. Things have changed ever since, up to the extent that I am now writing this, while I drink my tea… And guess where? Of course at work, on my desk.

  
Talk about work, then it had taught me few things, while a lot might sound a bit selfish to you however still handy in everyday life. For instance, I've always been taught to help others in every possible way. “If people aren't as good to us still then help them anyway.” That’s what I've been taught ever since I've come to senses. But it doesn't really apply to my work here. Here, if you help people out of goodwill, they will, in almost every case turn on you and expect the same every time. And if you ever fail someday, then it is and will surely turn against you. That is a fact. That’s how it works here. Though personally I love helping people here, however, it annoys me when they fail to acknowledge the work. So, the first thing that I've learnt here is, help people, however first analyze who is to help and how they should be helped. Helping people for every small thing can turn against you. Once again, against the teaching I received as a kid, however much handy in life if followed properly.
           The other thing that my work taught me is how to put my words across. This is banking and people here usually don’t care about what we do for them; however they are happy with the kind of words we shower on them. For example, you can give someone a plain “NO”, which can be rude sometimes or you can twist your words in a way it pleases the ears. Words, how you say it and how you put it across really makes an impression, not just in the bank but in everyday life. I have learnt, a lot of people are just happy with two nice words and it can really work wonders sometimes. Politeness never hurts anyone.


We all as humans, love a lot of things about ourselves, and our pride and ego is one of them. However bad the person might be, just never hurt someone’s ego, most of us, especially guys, love it more than anything else in the world. It stays with them. A lot of people that I come across here at this place either come with a smile on their faces or with huge egos in their personality. If it's a smile on the face, then it's not a problem, who doesn't love a smile on someone's face. However it it's a ego that they carry around with them, then we have a problem. Honestly, though it annoys me to no end sometimes and I prefer to stay away from these kinds of people more often than not, however dealing with them helps in understanding different kind of people and how to deal with them when face to face. I have seen, nothing makes a man happier than making him believe you respect them for who they are and you are in awe of them, well kind of. If you do them, treat them with respect, though just from the outside, it pleases them to no end. And a happy proudy man can be and is, in most cases, the best man to deal with. This however I find the hardest of them all, however as a banker I go through in my everyday life, and honestly, I kind of mastered the art of doing it as well. I do, have my fair share of ego in me as well, however keeping that aside has helped me a lot. It’s not always the best thing to actually, face ego with ego. When dealing with kind of self-centred person, it’s always best to not show yours. This is one very good thing to follow, because if by faking something, you bring someone delight and preserve their self respect, then I think it’s not a very bad thing to do.
They say hard work pays off in the long run, and I say “You must mix hard work with smart work”. For simple reason, hard work can get everything sorted in time; however it can really take a toll on your body and mind. However smart work can not only reduce the work load, it also reduces the physical and mental pressure. If you know how to do it, then you’d enjoy work with greater success. I have in, my short career as a banker haven’t been able to pertain that much as yet, however this is something I've learnt over the course of past 5-6 years. I used to be one of those, dumb hard working guy, who’d work his ass off without much of a result. That has changed since long, I have developed a petite knack of mixing hard and smart work, and honestly, things have become much smoother. Well, that is of course, in terms of work and studies.

Speaking, telling someone what you feel and what and how you do things, has its fun, however it is very important to be a good listener. We all listen to our close ones, like friends and family, but listening to a stranger giving you a lot of crap, isn't quite as cool. Being a public servant, I face a lot of people like that, who just wouldn’t stop, either they’d go on bragging about themselves or they just come up with their everyday shit, a lot of times it exasperates me to the core. Though, it kills a good chunk of productive time for me, however it fulfills the criteria of being a good customer service provider, which in turn is one of the basic quality that we must have. Being a listener, to all these people, especially strangers have also helped me develop patience in me. This has been one of my weak points for a long time, for a simple reason, that I haven’t been a listener for my whole life.  If I am to listen, the first thing I need to have is patience. If I don’t have it, then I am not a good listener. Simple.
We exist in a society, where in some way or the other, we affect each other’s life. Small things we do matter a lot and sometimes the smaller they are, the bigger the consequences. Sometimes, we either ignore or are just blind to what we do or how we affect people, however these small things do offer us a lot to learn. And if used properly, it can be life changing. It might not give us the best; it will however make our lives a lot better than what it is now. We, all learn from things we do, schools or colleges we attend and also from the place we work at. Life never ceases to amaze and to teach, no one has and will never learnt everything that life has to offer, we all learn things one by one and in due time. I am not in any way trying to imply here that I have learnt a lot, however I can claim that I have become a better person and have developed a better understanding of things around me.
Okay, so this is it for the time being, I will continue with the experience at work in weeks to come, however as of now. I shall take you excuse. Will see you very soon, until then, take care and stay safe.
Adios!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



1 comment:

  1. being in a work where you deal with a lot of people obviously teaches you a thing or two. just like i have been constant learner ever since i've started working.

    ReplyDelete