Tuesday 19 February 2013

AHMEDABAD DIARIES: CHAPTER XI SECOND COMING

The train rolled on and I am still thinking about everything that I did during the week I spent in Delhi. It had been nothing short of a wonderful experience. I kinda miss everything already. The worst part is realizing that I will not be able to return home soon. It’s that feeling once again, the feeling of being alone and no one really to turn to. I mean, I can call my folks back home, but sometimes it’s just not enough. I know their wishes and prayers are with me but sometimes I wish they were physically there. Sometimes I wish if only I can talk in person with them.
I knew this was going to be a long night and a long journey for me. And worst, I will have to go to work when I reach there. By this time however, I was very much comfortable with travelling alone and my love story with Indian Railways dates back to quite long back now. Had it just been a week’s trip or something, I would have enjoyed travellingalone, but knowing that I will be there posted for at least 3-4 month made it a bit hard. But I am okay, it needs to be done, so it needs to be done in anyway. Whether I like it or not. And yeah, this time, no tears. Just a few drops, that came out of happiness I reckon. Now I know what they mean when they say, they cried tears of joy. This was it.
Bought some books to read while travelling, however a fellow passenger didn’t like keeping the lights on after 10pm because she couldn’t sleep under light though she had her entire face covered by a blanket. Lights out. What am I gonna do now, I mean I wouldn’t be able to sleep that soon anyway. Talked on the phone for a while, but battery was dying so kept it inside the pocket and laid down, closing my eyes. I guess it took me about an hour or two to sleep. Woke up quite early, after all it’s not easy to sleep in a train after 5 am. If you don’t have any idea about it, then I recommend you try it out once and you’ll know it. So I woke up but still laid down closing my eyes, and all the while thinking how things would have been and what I could have done, had I not been posted here.
The train was late for about 2 hours so, reached Dahod at 11 am. I had switched off my phone, because it creates a problem when the battery dies down completely. There were no charging ports as well, so I thought I will call my folks when I reach home and charge it. Was still kind of lost in thoughts, suddenly I realized my station had come. I had to hurry as it doesn’t stop for long and quite a few people were also getting down. So, I took my baggage and got down. In the process I broke my glass, well not exactly broke it, but one of the sticks came out. Reached home. First thing, I need to charge my phone. I couldn’t find the charger then I realized that I never put it back in the bag after taking it out last night. FUCK!!!! I forgot the charger in the train and couldn’t find my spare charger which I kept in the room before leaving. What am I gonna do now. I knew my parents would be worried about me.
Took bath, changed and I set out to go to office, but before that I had to go and buy a charger and get my glasses fixed. Took and auto, asked him what I needed to do and where I needed to go, so he took me. It took about 30 minutes to do all that; we had to look for the shops and stuff, but the Autowallah just asked me for twenty bucks. I expected him to ask for more than that. But, I am happy. Got everything fixed, bought the charger and now on my way to the office. Reached the office and it was 30 past noon.
Okay. Not so eager to get in. I took a leave telling them that I’d be back by 27th and I didn’t even call them to let them know that I am going to extend my stay in Delhi. I kinda got the idea that my Manager would not be very happy about it. But you know, I had to get in anyway and report. So I did. I straight went into the manager’s cabin, he looked at me and I could see he was not very happy about everything.
He: Where have you been, you told us you’d come back by 27th. (He said it in a stern voice, I was kinda expecting that, but still I was nervous and I didn’t know what to do or say)
Me: Ummmmm…. I just couldn’t come. (I just smile while I said it. Honestly, I did not know what else to do.)
I guess my smile worked wonders for me.
He: You should have informed us.
I could hear his voice softening, so I knew that my smile has done the trick for me. But on a serious note, I again did not know what to do. I just looked at him for a while. Then,
Me: It’s a long story. I should have called but I couldn’t.
My nephew had thrown my phone from our balcony; we live on the second floor mind you. It was only late at night when I realized my phone is missing. Looked for it downstairs the next morning but did not find it. It had all my official contacts. I couldn’t do anything about it as well; after all, my nephew is just a year and a half old.
He: How was it?
Me: It was nice just a bit too cold for my liking. It’s the coldest winter in Delhi for a while now.
Yeah, I have a sinus problem, so winters are always a problem, though I like it better than summers.
He: How was Christmas and New Year? Did you have good time with family?
Me: Yeah, they were all good. I really enjoyed my time out there. It feels great to get to spend days like these with family.
He: Yeah. Even I would love to spend Diwali’s with family every year, but this job just doesn’t allow it. Good that you are back now. There is a lot that’s waiting for you. If you wanna rest, then just sign the attendance register and go home.
Me: It’s okay. I will go in the evening and thank you.
So, after a week, I took my desk and once again, I am back to being the Assistant manager in my bank. After the holidays, it seemed like things are back to normal now. These days normal for me means, being away from home, going to work every day in the morning and coming back in the evening, missing family and friends, talking to my roommates, sleeping early and then waking up early. This is normal and getting to spend some time with my family, being at home and waking up late is a luxury for me now.
After a long and tiring day, reached home in the evening. I was greeted quite warmly by my roommates, who had been waiting for me. Because I guess they had some plans and it was waiting for me. I guess it was one of my roommates birthday on the 2nd of January, they had planned to eat out earlier, but then thought it’d be better if they waited for me. So they did. It was kinda nice of them to do. Honestly, I liked what they did.
So…………..Here I am, back to the place and back to everything that is normal now. Well at least to me. Hmmmmm….. It’s gonna take another week or two to get used to of everything once again. I will need to start everything all over again, but I am ready. This is the year of facing the worst with a smile for me. So I will do it.
It feels like a second coming and things don’t look to be so strange, after all I have already spent a month and a half here already. So I kinda know a thing or two about this place now, after all, it’s just a small city. I am here once again, which mean for one more time I will have to walk on, with hope in my heart.
That’s it, for now. I will see you very soon. Till then, take care and stay safe.
Adios!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
P.S. – It’s just been about 3-4 days, but I already miss everything. I am missing, my home, family, friends, Delhi and I AM MISSING YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment