Friday 30 November 2012

AHMEDABAD DIARIES: CHAPTER II: DAHOT..... HERE I COME

As Conficius says "A journey of a thousand miles starts with one step." Here I am taking my first step towards what would be constant journey for at least next 3-4 years.

Finally I got my posting orders and it is officially confirmed that I will be posted for three months in a semi urban city of Dahot. I know the name is not exciting. It doesn't excite me much as well. I am due to leave tomorrow morning and yes, not at all excited about it. Not even a single bit. I did not expect them people to post me there. Come on, I don't speak Gujarati neither do I look like a Gujarati. How am I going to survive there. I thought it was not fair on me, but then I never expected life to be fair. So, it's okay. What's got to be done, got to be done.
My bags are packed and I am ready for the journey. I had been told that it's just three hours journey by bus, so that doesn't sound like much on a problem to me.
Morning dawns. I did not even sleep propely the last night. All night I was thinking or rather worrying about how am I going to manage even if I reach there, where am I going to stay and what am I going to do. All these questions, with no real answer. Not much hopeful that I will enjoy my time there and secretly bracing myself for tough times ahead.
By 10 am I left the house, my home for past 10 days, saying goodbye to everyone, kind of feeling sad, well saying goodbye always makes me feel sad. Can't help it. Reached the bus stand. Oh yeah, i forgot to tell you the worst part yet. There are no trains and no deluxe buses to the place I am going to. BEAT THAT!!!!!!!!!! The only way of reaching there is by state trasport buses, which are not a very good option for travelling. After a short wait the bus is ready to leave. On board people from all sphere. From the rich to the poor, from locals to immigrants, everyone present. But all had one thing in common. They all looked at me like they've seenn a ghost or something. Constant stares and a bit of talking within themselves about me and after some uncomfortable look from my fellow passengers, I am finally at my seat. So, earphones on and music played as loud as possible and I am ready for the three hour journey. But little did I know that it takes around 5 hours not three. Screw the guy who told me it took three.
This is how the bus looked like
Okay, everything set. After a long friggin journey which actually was for 5 hours but seemed like more than a day or two. I finally reached the City. Oh well, this is the kind of City with no cinema hall, no mall and not a single place to hang out. Things don't look exciting at all. Trust me, it does not. If only I knew a better way to explain how things are and how the city is.
All said, I finally reached my branch with all my luggage. No more uncomfortable stares and no more feeling like an Alien. Finally the destination. Huge relief!!!!!!!! In all honesty, I had no other options as well. No place to go, no one to turn to. Well, so the branch people, they are nice I must tell you, took me to a hotel. They say it's the best hotel around in the city. Ummmmmmm.... I beg to differ though, it wasn't the ones we get in Delhi, Hyderabad or a place like that, in fact in Ahmedabad for that matter. It was kinda nice though, not bad for the price to be honest.
So there I am, all set to bein a hotel for at least a week or two until my staff find me a place to stay. Honestly though, I kinda like it in the hotel, I have TV and a company. The guy next to my room is nice, he has been in the hotel for the past six months ummmmm.... Maybe more. A nice guy to talk to. He seemed to understand what it feels like to be away from home among unknown people, at unknown place. He's been through this, so I guess he knows it right.
He told me a lot about the city and the people. Well, good insight for me and now I know what to do or what not to. He told me pretty much about everything and now I have a clear idea of how things should be done around here. He also asked to contact him should I need anything, I am not sure if I am going to do that or not. It made me feel a bit better though.
Once again the morning is here and I am already off from my bed at 8 am in the morning. Can you believe it, I mean I am one of those who wakes up at 1pm in the afternoon and eats lunch straightaway. That is all set to change. Not a welcomed change, it has to be made however.
First day in the office, nervous about working with new people but excited at the same time however.
Office peon came to pick me up.Reached office and then the normal routine of introduction with all the staff. Everyone at the branch seem quite humble and nice to talk to. They don't speak much of English, which I did not expect either, not very good in Hindi as well. So, no communication gap. Everything seems just fine, I am treated like a boss on my first day. It felt nice, I am afraid that I might get too used to of it though. Still I am well grounded, after all it's my first day. It's kind of nice, in a way that they all tried their best to make me feel at home, which is always a welcomed gesture.
After a long day, there was not much to do, not that I knew how to do things anyway. But the first day syndrome and it seemed awfully long to me.
It's 5.30pm now and all ready to leave. Peon is ready to drop me to my hotel. I am happy that the day is finally over, there is a sense of sadness however. I mean, I have no home to return to but the Hotel.
This is how it is, at Ahmedabad I had a home to return to but always wished if when I return home there were people I know. Here now I wish if only I had a home to return to, not even asking about people I know. Wishes and more wishes, not sure if they are gonna come true or not, at this time it doesn't looks likely to come true and I am all braced for it, neither do I have any choice.
Back at the Hotel room now, watching TV and talking to family over the phone and dinner is done. Finally, ready to retire to my bed now. But before that, just a little thought. Okay, so things did not go the way I had expected or even imagined, they will not more often than not. Is there anything I could do about it? NO. Even if I had a choice, I would have stayed on and faced what comes my way. So, good or bad just need to accept how things are. But it sure is a lesson, Yeah!!!!!! A friggin lesson. I know if I can survive here then I can survive anywhere.
A bit of displeasure about what's going on but accepting the fact that “Everything happens, happens for the good”. And it better be.
With that hope, I am off to bed. Hope the new day is better than today. Still thanking GOD for everything though. After all people study 4-5 years for a job like this. Not that I am gloating, it is a fact. I am lucky to be here. Just need to concentrate on what I am getting rather than moaning about what I am not.
Things will be fine, I am sure they will be and days will get better.
The diary will continue and I hope to see you all very soon. Till then take care and Stay safe.
Adios!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



5 comments:

  1. Many thanks for the exciting blog posting! I really enjoyed reading it, you are a brilliant writer. I actually added your blog to my favorites and will look forward for more updates. Great Job, Keep it up.. :)Ahmedabad Hotels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir. Yeah, I am gonna write new. In fact have already written it. and it will be posted in due time. Just keep checking it. :) Hope you like the next ones as well.

      Delete
  2. RATHIMEENA Travels is one another big name among largest bus operators of south India. Rathimeena Travels are traditionally Chennai based operates that runs hundreds of routes with almost numerous daily trips from and to Chennai,Hyderabad, Bangalore and many more. Rathimeena Travels of Bus Ticket Booking through Ticketgoose.com with simple money transaction procedures. Can also select seats, Online Bus Ticket Bookingand also cancel Tickets Online

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks really boring and annoying. Wish you the best for it. Keep posting. I think you can write travelogue just as good as the others. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Things are getting better now and i am adjusting to it. :)

      Delete