Sunday 19 August 2012

HOMOPHOBIA: Is This Justified?



Just the other day, while speaking with a friend, we just bumped into one topic that hasn’t been ever touched. Not that I never liked talking about it, it however was the hesitation that always kept me away from it. So yeah, we never spoke about it. However those who know me and those who read what I write should know by now that I can be very random while talking. I can start from one topic and drift away to another without even completing what’s been said before and sometimes it so happens that I just forget about the topic or bring something in entirely out of context. Yeah, that’s what I am.
Okay so, we were talking about football, mind you he’s my teammate and also my best buddy in the team. We don’t have any problems touching any kind of topic; he is just as much random as I am.
After a while of discussing about the latest news around the transfer season, don’t know from where but I just asked him.
Me: Okay, listen, what if you found out that your best buddy was “homosexual” ?
He gave me a weird look at first with a sort of wicked smile…..
Him: That would change a lot of things between us; I wouldn’t be just as much comfortable with him anymore.
Me: Would you tease him for that?
Him: Yeah I probably would and maybe stop talking or hanging out with him just as much.
Shocking!!!!!!!!!! But that’s what he said…
Me: Fair enough, and if he told you that he’s in love with somebody else?
Him: Even if that was the case, it would still be very awkward and uncomfortable.
Okay, by this time I was kinda wondering what to ask next…… So,
Me: Why?
Him: Hmmmmmmm… that’s because it’s unnatural and I think it’s just not right.
Okay that probably was the answer I was kinda hoping for but it took me by surprise to be honest.
Me: And why is it unnatural?
Him (With a slightly annoyed tone): Come on, you are supposed to love the opposite sex, it’s just not right.
I knew he was annoyed a bit, I however just wanted to go on………
Me: Okay, if that is unnatural then why are people born that way?
He paused and thought about it for a while…….
Him: I don’t know why? But it’s just unnatural and I can’t accept it if any of my friend was in fact a “Homosexual”.
Okay by this time, I was kind of losing it….
Me: How can you say that? Imagine if you were a “Homosexual” and I had the same sentiments about it? Then how would you have reacted to it??????
He was kind of lost for words I reckon….
Him: I don’t know and I don’t wanna think too much about that. Just that I am not, so it’s fine. Let’s cut this out now.
I however still wanted to discuss and probably change his perception towards it, but that’s how the entire conversation ended.
I looked the other way and so did he, honestly, I was a bit disappointed but then once he started talking about other things, everything was once again okay.
So, that’s how it is, I feel strongly about it, I respect them to be honest and sometimes I feel bad about it too. Their sexual orientation often invites a lot of unwanted attention and bullying, which in other terms we know as “Homophobic bullying”.
Homophobic bullying is defined as hounding behaviors that are motivated by prejudice against a person’s actual or perceived sexual orientation or gender identity.
In my opinion, no one deserves to be bullied. Everyone is the same; the only difference is the opinion when it comes to preferences. No one is a creep just because they have different perception on gender identity or sexual orientation.
A lot of people go through this trauma that is “Homophobic bullying” which involves malicious name-calling; spreading rumors, unwanted sexual comments or jokes, suggesting that someone or something is stupid and therefore “Gay”, exclusion, isolation, public humiliation or intimidation, obscene gestures, stalking or threatening someone with physical harm, unwanted sexual touching, harassment, using the Internet, instant messaging and cell phones to intimidate and to put down people because of their actual or perceived sexual orientation or gender identity.
Phewwwwww!!!!! So much to go through, just because they don’t have the same sexual preference with all the other “Normal” people.
This often leads to emotional and behavioral difficulties, higher symptoms of depression and externalizing behaviors, more hostile peer environments and experiences of victimization, greater rates of bullying and sexual harassment, and less social support in both their family and peer group contexts when compared with their heterosexual peers.
Before I move on to the next thing, I must ask one question to all the “Normal People”.
What if the same thing happened to you? What if things were vice-versa of how it is now? Put yourself in their shoe and just imagine what would you have done and how you might have felt then.
Everyone, including me have the right to express themselves and also the right to chose what they want to do and don’t. But just think for a second…….
Is this justified?????
This could all change with a bit of awareness from everyone. No one likes being an outcast; it’s depressing when it happens. I am sure you all know how it feels.
I would like to reiterate what a friend said once “God didn't make everybody straight and 'normal' and that we should love and accept each other, no matter what our sexuality is and no matter who we love” and I strongly stand by that. Teach respect and an appreciation for differences before the seeds of intolerance take root.
If you can’t respect them for who they are then I feel you shouldn’t disrespect them as well. Nobody has the right to disrespect, neither does anyone has the right to judge them for who they are or anyone for that matter.
If you can’t intervene in homophobic harassment and name-calling when you hear it, just don’t indulge in it yourself. Prejudice and hate are learned behaviors, it’s better avoided.
Homophobic bullying is wrong and not acceptable and everyone should be proud of who they are. Just stand up and speak up for your rights. There is nothing to be ashamed of; you are just as normal as everyone else. Just like Lady GaGa sings……..
“I'm beautiful in my way
'Cause God makes no mistakes
I'm on the right track, baby
I was born this way
Don't hide yourself in regret
Just love yourself and you're set
I'm on the right track, baby
I was born this way.”
Inspirational, isn’t it?????? True as well!!!!!!
Okay so, I guess this is where I end all this, not because I have run out of words but because of a hope that whatever I said or wrote brings in a new beginning and a new perception. And I leave everyone, including the people prejudiced about all this with a small message….
“Well, think before what you do or say. “Karma is a bitch” it’ll always get back to you. Love people for who they are and if you can’t love them, then you have no rights to hate them either.”

No comments:

Post a Comment