Friday 27 July 2012

WHY LIVERPOOL FC??


It was the summer of 1998, Football World Cup going on in full force. After the WC finished all the sports channels here started telecasting the English Premier League. As a kid, I had already  caught the Football bug During the WC, so there I was watching the EPL without any team to support, so to make it more fun I started to look for a team to support. I did not know which team was good or how to choose a team for that matter, so I started looking at the team badges and the very first look at it and I knew it had to be Liverpool FC. It was the lines on the Crest that read "You'll Never Walk Alone" that I fell in love with and I knew this is going to play a major role in my life. So, the love story started there. I didn't know the players neither did I needed to know how the team played, in fact the first Liverpool FC match I saw ended in a defeat for the Reds, but it didn't matter as I had found a reason to love the club. In the 2001 I was lucky enough to see Liverpool FC win a treble by winning the FA Cup, League Cup and UEFA Cup. As a kid I knew this is the team I want to support. Then in the summer of 2003, a certain Steven Gerrard, brought on from the youth academy, took over as captain from Sami Hyypia. The first time I saw him with the armband the love in me grew stronger, I knew he is the man to lead in the future and bring the glory days back. Then came the summer of 2005, Liverpool's famous comeback against AC Milan in Champions League Final, which I am sure is the best ever match any Liverpool Fan has seen in recent past and the great FA cup comeback against West Ham in 2006 and I realized that my love for Liverpool FC is true and it will last a lifetime. Since then I have been a massive Liverpool FC supporter. Later on I realized that supporting Liverpool FC is not just about winning trophies anymore. There are a lot of people who support teams that wins trophy on a regular basis who are more than ready to poke fun at Liverpool's inability to win trophies on regular basis, they would often ask why Liverpool? They don't even win anything. The answer is simple, it's the love that I have inside me and love don't need any reasons it just happens. And when you support Liverpool, it’s not just about supporting a football club which has a great history but you also become a part of a family that will never let you walk alone. Trust me, since Liverpool came into my life I have never walked alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment